I went to my first Ray Brown class today. I wish i could quit my other life and do music. Musicians are so full of wisdom. I decided to take beginning improv and big band. We’ll hold off on the voice stuff for now. Music is where I truly feel connected.
The last concert I did, I got grouped with the most talented group of cats. Lucky me. I wonder what this term will be like. These are some snippets from the class (I seriously love these stories):
- Being mediocre is only knowing 3 scales
- Vocalist tirade on how they should always choose piano
- Tunes are built in a key, b/c thats how they fit the staff
- Sinatra always introduced his musicians and arrangers
- How many flats in B?.. haha, none
- Balloon JUICE!
- Ears need to be trained first
- Bass is most important, grow a bass player.. like growing trees
- The entire world does not know what the Arts are anymore, and it is a scary time to be alive
- like sparta and athens.. math and science
- Transcribing big bands while 12 yrs old.. like writing on a chalkboard after school… like looking at a map.